Saturday, June 19, 2010

Just a short post this morning, I am headed out the back door to get the potatoes planted before the heat sets in today. Tyler and Bob needed some "guy" stuff to do yesterday so they pulled the broccoli for me, I now have the room to plant potatoes in the regular garden and we are gonna give them a try in the Square foot garden as well, should be interesting to see what the difference will be in the two environments.
I need to get started on pickles this week, really wish the heat would let up for a few days so I could get on canning, however I don't see that happening. Looks like I am gonna have a few very sweaty days ahead of me. Here is a great site for some canning recipes and out of the box canning, foodinjars.com. Best books on the market are "Ball complete book of home preserving" or " The big book of Preserving the Harvest"
I dehydrated green and yellow onions yesterday, I had read that they would be stinky when they were processing. YA THINK!!! Stinky is not even close to the aroma we had in the house, the fumes were so strong that our eyes were watering in every room of the downstairs. The next round of onions will be moved to the garage or deck, no more dehydrating in the kitchen for them but they turned out beautifully.
Update on the dehydrating of blueberries..... it took 3 days in the dehydrator to hopefully finish them off, I say hopefully because some of them were still a little sticky when I finished so I don't know if they will hold up. Bob LOVES blueberries but I won't be using the fancy dancy dehydrator again to put them up, from here on out they will be frozen. Here are the steps to dehydrating blueberries if you are interested, of course you have to carefully wash them first then they need to be blanched, after gently running cold water on them to cool down you need to poke a hole in each and every one with a toothpick to help the drying process and then wait 3 days for them to dry! Are you kidding me!! Nope that's what the directions say and that's what I did and that's why I won't be doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment