Wednesday, December 12, 2012

It All Started With Fray Check


DD#1 is in charge of decorating for Tyler's Kindergarten class "Winter Party" She is going with "The Gingerbread Man" theme. After digging around in my embroidery programs I found a Gingerbread Man candy cane holder. This should work great for table decorations as well as a party favor for the kiddo's 

I figured out how to add a ribbon during the embroidery process so the kiddo's can hang their Gingerbread Man on the tree after the candy is long gone.
I had thought the only cost was for the candy canes as I am using my fabric stash! They however need Fray check for the slits to put the candy cane through. For the life of me I couldn't find my fray check. Somebody needs to do some clean up in the sewing room. Off to the big box fabric store. The fray check was only $4.99 however......
This sewing machine was on sale for $129.99 regular price $189.99

I have been without a sewing machine for 28 days people!!! After calling on the progress of my sick machine on Monday I had been thinking a back up machine might be in order. They hope they will be able to finish up repaires of my machine by the end of the week. With the Christmas rush in full swing at the postal service they can't guarantee I will have it back before Christmas, grr Now if I would like to pay for overnight delivery I might get it sometime next week. NO THANKS!! The shipping would cost a pretty penny I am sure.

My Sister has been so sweet as to let me borrow her machine while mine has been in the shop but we are firm believers that you shouldn't borrow something that you can't replace. My Sister has a TOP of the line Bernina that is over 20 years old, maybe closer to 30 years. If I were too have to replace it we are talking $8,000.00 or more. After putting the binding on one of the quilts I was afraid to touch the thing! Ha

I have heard nice things about the Janome brand machine, while this one is no where near top of the line the sales lady assured me it will do the trick for piece work as well as everyday sewing around the house. She herself has one that is a step or two up from the one I purchased that she takes with her to retreats and Bee's. She leaves her Bernina at home due to size, weight, and cost! Ha That is a tip I will be keeping in mind, maybe my big girl machine needs to stay put at home.

I called hubby and told him to mark a big gift off of my Christmas list (not that I had one on it) since I purchased a new machine. He was A-OK with that and wished me luck with my new toy. He called back in a very short period of time,

HIM "Wait a minute, did you say you bought a new sewing machine?"
ME "Yep"
HIM "I thought the new ones were over $5,000.00"
ME "That would be the upgraded machines"
HIM "Did we upgrade?"
Me "No, we down graded. It was less than most people would pay for a new winter coat"
HIM "Do you need a new winter coat?"
Me "No honey I am menopausal remember?"

I LOVE that man!!

If I find the time today to get the new machine out of the box and sit up I do believe a little blog candy is in order as a celebration!

14 comments:

  1. so glad you have your own working machine! I am lost when mine is in the shop.
    your story is funny, and reminds me of when my SIL asked me how much a sewing machine would cost.

    My mom has a very fancy Bernina but I have never even touched it as I have never used that high end machine and she would be very cranky if I messed anything up.

    happy sewing to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I am thinking maybe someday my DD's might want to take up sewing, they could use the new machine to learn on.

      Delete
  2. Nice find on a sewing machine! So is your sister as talented as you are?? Does she like quilting too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister doesn't sew much now that her DD is grown but she use to do beautiful things.

      Delete
  3. You and Bob are way too cute, Debby ! xx Happy you have a backup; us girls always need a Plan "B".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right a back up plan is always good, I knew you ladies would understand

      Delete
  4. you are so funny!!! love the gingerbread men holders!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I should have just waited for my machine but I couldn't go another day!

      Delete
  5. Love the sweet little gingerbread men, Debby!! soo cute!! That would be so hard to be without a machine for a month, especially with how much you sew!! eek!!! You got an awesome deal on a machine, and yes, that's very cheap!! My grandma has one of those machines that cost as much as a car and i'd be afraid to use it too! lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla, Hope the little guy will do until the big girl returns

      Delete
  6. Keeping a machine that long is terrible...I would change shops for sure...anyway, I used to say that I was a Bernina girl, now I say that I am a Janome woman..ha! .takes AAA one or two days turnaround at most for my Janome!! I am happy for you that you got a Janome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The local shop couldn't do the repairs it had to go back to Chicago or Swiss. I really do love the machine but I was having withdraw!!

      Delete
  7. I love the gingerbread men and I love this blog post. I think you made a wise investment with the 'fray check'...I mean, Janome. :)) I hope you get your machine back soon.

    ReplyDelete