Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sew It's Done

 
The Nativity is finished.
 
 
All the pieces are a nice chunky size for little hands to play with for years to come.
 
 
The boxes are lined up.
 
 
And filled with what I hope will be a happy surprise.
 
 
Did you really think I was making just one set? Nope, six sets will be headed to their new homes Monday Morning. Task complete!!
 
I am gonna sorta miss working on these little guys next week. It will however be nice to clean up all the bits of thread that have blown around in all the corners of the house. I delivered DD#1's Nativity to the grands tonight when I went over to babysit. Set #2 and #3 will be going to our other two DD's, the rest will mailed as Christmas gifts.
 
I planned on making a cute bag of some sort to store the Nativities in but with my machine off into the wild blue yonder I went on a search of something else. Michael's had these cute boxes on sale 7 for $10.00. Can't beat that price, hopefully they will hold up over the years.
 
I finally figured out the price for each set as the numbers I had ran before seemed WAY OFF. Total stitches for each set was 129,430. The going rate for embroidery is $1.00 per 1,000 stitches which works out to be $129.00 per set. They are still very expensive but 1/2 the price that it looked like they would be! Ha
 
Soooo what was my cost?  By using scraps from my fabric stash, thread that I have picked up on 50% off sales this past year, in addition to stabilizer at 50% off. I only had to buy two additional rolls of stabilizer at $11.00 each (50% off sale) Not too bad a deal I would say!!!! I am sew excited to have stuck to my plan of collecting the thread and stabilizer throughout the year on sale and using up a little more of my stash. Having a game plan in mind early in the year made all the difference. I haven't totaled up how much thread went into these little guys but believe me when I say it was a whole heck of a lot!!
 
Do you plan way ahead of the game for any Christmas gifts you will be making? This year I knew what I wanted to do in January. I was able to get in on great sales by having the patterns and plan in place. Once the Christmas fabrics got down to 50%-70%  off I was ready to lay down the cash.
 
 I can't wait for the young Mommy's who will be getting these packages to open them up and have what will hopefully be a new family tradition to pass on for many generations. SEW STINKING EXCITED!!!!! These are by far one of my favorite handmade gifts I have ever given. The other fun thing is they will be totaly unexpected as the Mommy's are not on our Christmas list.

21 comments:

  1. Oh Debby, you just amaze me! really, SIX sets? they are cute as can be and I know all the families will be thrilled to get them.

    This has been a crazy year and I've made very few gifts, but, i am already planning for next year!

    hope you get your machine back very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda. I set up an assembly line and had at it, sew happy with the results

      Delete
  2. they are wonderful and will become and heirloom that will be passed down from one generation to another. They are very lucky to be receiving them. I am not a child but would love to have a set. Well done!! Also well done on being so prepared ahead of the game as they say!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, now time to put my feet up and dream of the next big sales, Ha

      Delete
  3. Ditto for what Gill said. Awesome creations again, Debby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I am taking today off, for cleaning, come on down.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful heirloom gift to be treasured forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE them! You are very talented! I know this would not be something I could do, as I'm not crafty AND I lack patience! What a great heirloom for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, the machine does most of the work!! I just have to watch the pennies to afford to do the extra's at Christmas

      Delete
  6. These are beautiful! And six sets? You never stop to amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lena, I set my machine up in the kitchen then got the assembly line going. I now know what it feels like to work in a sweat shop! Ha

      Delete
  7. Sew bright, sew colourful, sew inventive and sew exciting for Christmas Day.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mum, the kiddo's can play the heck out of them and Mom can pop them in the wash. Everybody is happy

      Delete
  8. These are just darling. What a keepsake - especially for the grandchildren, Great job!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. those are amazing! what a beautiful gift for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow-you got them done- AMAZING. They are all going to be thrilled. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been one busy, sweet lady!!! these are fantastic...I had fun catching up on your posts!!!

    ReplyDelete